Saturday, January 21, 2012

What will it Bee?? #2 FOOD

This is the food section of the shower.  I decided that I needed a layout for the food so I could keep everything straight in my head.  I drew a diagram so I knew how everything should look on shower day and so I could keep a list of what food items were made and what still needed to be done.
 There is a list on the back with day by day things I needed to do so I wouldn't be stressed. :D
I made cake pops and Black Bottom cupcakes:

Cake pops are made by making a regular cake (I made mine in a 9 X 11" pan with the regular recipe on the back of the box).  After the cake is cooled completely you break the cake up in a bowl until it is just crumbly.  Take one container of icing and mix it with the cake.  This just barely holds together.  Roll them into small balls and then put a sucker stick in each cake pop and dip them in melted chocolate.  Today I displayed them on a plate so I let them drip standing straight up, but I have previously made some and displayed them stuck in styrofoam that is placed in a pot so I dried those on their sides.  (see them in the back of this photo?)
Black bottom cupcakes are:
1 C. sugar
1 1/2 C. Flour
1/3 C. cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C. water
1/2 C. Oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 T. vinegar
1 egg
Mix well, then fold in 3/4 C. chocolate chips.  Fill the cupcake tins 1/2 full with this mixture.
Then mix together 8 oz of cream cheese softened (don't use "less fat" or Non-fat - it won't work - I've tried it.)  1/3 C. Sugar and one egg.  Beat well.  Then put a large spoonful of cream cheese mixture on the top or pushed down into the chocolate mixture a little bit.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
Check out the cute bee fabric I found.  I tore off the ends of the fabric into a square and used it on the island.  I used a couple of books in different areas to add height.
Cucumber Feta Cheese rolls - I don't really like Feta Cheese, but I was hoping friends would like these and they were a hit!  (I didn't have any dill so I left it out).  I found them here:

http://www.goodlifeeats.com/2011/12/cucumber-feta-rolls-holiday-recipe-exchange.html

I made chicken salad sandwiches.  I bought the chicken salad from Costco, added sliced almonds and  cut up grapes.  They were yummy!
 I made this cool jello mold.  My Mom makes a layered jello every holiday and it's become a family tradition.  So when I saw this on Pinterest, I thought, I can do that!

http://rock-ur-party.tablespoon.com/2011/05/23/spiked-rainbow-salad/

Usually we make our layered jello in a 9" X 11" pan.  I thought no sweat, I'll use my regular recipe and make it in a jello mold.  But the jello mold didn't turn out as well as I wanted.  Next time I would make it in the 9" X 11" pan.  You take 5 or 6 - 4oz jello flavors.  For each layer of jello boil one cup of water and mix with one flavor of jello.  Divide in half.  In one half add 4 T of sour cream (fat free of course) and wisk.  Place this layer in the pan in the fridge.  Make sure this layer is even, use a papertowel or whatever you need to make it level.  After 30 minutes add 4 T of water to the other half of the jello and add it to the first layer.  Continue layering the jello until it is finished.

In addition, I covered pretzels in chocolate.  I drizzled some pretzels and added sprinkles to other ones.

In the middle of the table I had a tray of Mexican food. 

Over to the side there were water bottles.


Here is the Mom to be, lovely Valerie with her fun friend Amber.

It was a great party and Valerie and baby were literally showered with gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment