Saturday, February 4, 2012

Roll up bags - so easy!

I loved the pin for the roll up bags.  They are reversable if you want and they roll up very small for throwing in your purse, diaper bag or glove compartment.    The original pin can be found here:


roll up tote tutorial

On the first one I made I was trying to follow the directions for the directional fabric for the letters and I made the mistake of measuring or checking only once before cutting.  Never do this.  You have to measure twice, figure it out in your head and then you can cut.  So when I cut the 21" X 16" piece the keys would have been running up and down instead of right to left.  So....I improvised.  I had bought this fabric especially to make something for my daughter who is at BYU.  She loves books, reading and typewriters and the fabric reminded me of her.  So I modified the pattern and made a smaller bag.  But then I had to redeem myself so I made one the correct size and I was very happy with the outcome.

The smaller one ended up 10 1/4" X 11 1/2" and the larger bag is  15 1/4" X 14 1/2".  Here is a photo of the larger one rolled up.

Perhaps two things I did differently is that one, I lined with linen.  I have a couple bags I made reversible and I never flip them, so I didn't want to 'waste' the pretty expensive fabric.   Secondly, after ironing the handles I sewed the folded side first instead of the side with the two open ends.  I hope that makes sense, but it made for less folding and or puckering when sewing the handles. 

I will probably make several more because they are so easy!  Have fun with her nice tutorial!
Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment